Windows Live Messenger (formerly Windows Messenger) is automatically installed upon the installation of Windows XP. If you decide not to continue using Windows Live Messenger, you have the option of disabling, rather than uninstalling it. Disable Windows Live Messenger by following the steps below.
- Windows XP or Windows Vista
- Start Messenger.
- On the Menu bar click Tools, and then click Options. NB If the Menu bar is not displayed, press the ALT key on your keyboard.
- On the left side of the Options window, click Sign In.
- Clear the following check boxes: a) Allow automatic sign in when connected to the internet and b) Automatically run Windows Live Messenger when I log on to Windows.
- Click Apply and then Click OK.
Alternatively, you could uninstall Windows Live Messenger. Doing so would remove it from your computer completely.