Windows Live Messenger is a pesky MSN product. It comes pre-installed on Windows Vista installations and is therefore difficult to uninstall. The software’s former title was Windows Messenger, which comes pre-installed on Windows XP installations. This method works to remove either of the two.
- Windows XP or Windows Vista
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard, or launch the Start Menu using your cursor.
- Select the “Run…” option.
- In the prompted box, enter “RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%INFmsmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove”.
- Press the Enter button on your keyboard, or click “OK.”
- When you are prompted and asked to restart your computer, click “Yes.”
Alternatively, you could disable Windows Live Messenger. This allows you to disable Messenger without completely doing away with it. Messenger would remain installed but inactive. You would then have the option of reactivating Messenger later.